Kyl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohnoitspaul - Mage

3 posters

Go down

Ohnoitspaul - Mage Empty Ohnoitspaul - Mage

Post  Ohnoitspaul Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:15 am

IRL information:

Name: Paul
Current occupation: Student

Anything else you want us to know about yourself:

Currently unemployed but going to do a masters in the next academic year so i currently play way too much! I recently started to raid with my mage instead of my Shadow Priest so i’ll include data for both characters in the questions.

Character(s) information:

Name: Ohnoitspaul
Race: Undead
Class: Mage
Professions: Inscription/Enchanting

Current realm: Daggerspine
Current guild: Guildless

Primary raiding spec: Arcane
Offspec, if any: TtW/FB
/played:

Mage: 81 days
Shadow Priest: 157 days

Armory:

Mage: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Daggerspine&n=Ohnoitspaul
Shadow Priest: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Paul

Any additional information you wish to share about this character:

Any relevant information about your alts:

I have 2 other characters at 80, a DK:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Ohnoitspaul

And another priest:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Itspaulohno

My DK is pretty much my money maker these days, i herb and skin to provide what i need to raid. My other priest is my healer as i still love the mechanics behind priest healing.

Guild History and other information:

Tell us about your Guild and WoW history. (when did you start playing, any significant breaks etc)

Pre-TBC i raided on my priest and was in a guild called De Muerte on Nordrassil, we cleared BWL the night before 2.0, we started raiding a bit later than most guilds on the server because i think they initially started out as a PvP guild, managed to get a few people to High Warlord. I was a HealBot™️ at that time though using the cookie cutter disc/holy build.

Once TBC hit we reformed the guild and called it Bane, i was asked to spec shadow and we raided successfully through all early content until we hit SSC and TK, this is when i was obliged to take a break from raiding due to my degree taking so much of my time.

When i finally got back into the swing of things i joined a guild called Turncoats, they were just starting SSC/TK and i really wanted to experience the content. We flew through it all killing Vashj and KT pre-3.0 and ended up with 3/9 BT and 4/5 MH. Unfortunately they were a casual guild and raiding was only a bonus for them. Once wrath hit i was still a member of Turncoats, we had 10 good raiders with which we flew through the 10 man content, except Maly.

At this point i was starting to crave more challenging raids with more competent players, as a result i left TC and joined Postmortem. We managed to get Glory of the Raider and missed out on the heroic version because we didn't achieve the Immortal or 6 min Maly. Once Ulduar hit we made some pretty nice progress, though an opportunity arose where i could try my hand in a hardcore guild called Chimaera on Draenor. I took the chance as i felt i was good enough so i left PM and server transferred. It was great at first, they achieved the 159th kill of Yogg in EU, the raids were smooth and they had some great players. We had many attempts on the various hardmodes including a full night on firefighter and freya +3. Then the server lag started, it was really bad, hardmodes were impossible due to it. We would get 3 second delays on everything which obviously ruled out the healing intensive fights like council and freya hardmode. Nearing the end of my trial i was obliged to take 4 days off because my ISP were doing maintenance to the underground cables outside my house. When i came back the guild had disbanded, i was pretty gutted.

The raid force was very small but commited, a few key players decided the content was lackluster and decided to quit, including the main warr tank. That added with frustrations of the server lag resulted in the disband, so i’m told.

I tucked my tail between my legs and ran back to Postmortem, there was a problem though, i still hadn’t satisfied my urge to raid at a hardcore level. As such i applied to a guild called Perfectly Sane on Auchindoun. I was accepted and dropped in at the deep end. My first raid with them was their first (and the server first) one light in the darkness kill, 225th guild in EU to get it. Much to my horror i sat out as they got the server first algalon 25 kill. Then things started to go crazy, they began progress on Yogg+0 which became a little too time consuming. That kind of raiding is too much for me, i would prefer this to stay as a hobby rather than a part time job (they actually got the world 192 kill of alone in the darkness). I obviously enjoy a high level of raiding but 30-35 hours a week is a bit silly.

So once again i ran back to Postmortem (called Dead End now) who graciously accepted me after i had explained to them that i no longer desired the hardcore aspect of raiding, along with much grovelling and piss taking! This is when i started raiding on my mage. I would have been completely and utterly content staying there for the rest of my time in WoW, sadly the officers were recently forced to stop all raids due to a lack of members. Tis a sorry state of affairs. But one that is not acceptable for me, the main reason i play this game is because i love raiding.

So here i am, applying to you guys, no doubt screwing everyones eyes with this huge wall of text!

Tell us about your raid experience.

Pretty much said most of it above but i’ll summise below:

Vanilla: BWL including Nef pre 2.0.
TBC: 3/9 BT and 4/9 MH
Wrath: OS10+3 pre-zerg, missing only firefighter for heroic glory of the raider, many nights on algalon 10 and a couple on 25.

The hardest encounter you have beaten is?

Definately Razorgore, when we started BWL progress we were still slightly noobish i think the coordination you needed to handle all those adds was just like ‘wtf?’. It was for me anyway, i still hadn’t been playing for too long at that time and i was a healer!

What is the most useless and most useful talent or skill your class has and why?

Currently i would say Incanter’s Absoption (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=44396) is one of the most useful talents, it’s applicable to alot of bosses with raid damage due to dpriest shields. Though you can pop a fire ward and take some damage on Koralon and Twins which will increase your spell damage substantially, same with other bosses.

Most useless is probably Magic Attunement (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=12606), the onyl reason i’ve taken it over Arcane Focus (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=12840) is because i have too much hit atm. Once i get the tier legs i’ll be able to optimise my spec according to rawr though.

Any important addons you use for raiding?

oRA2
DBM
Scorchio2
MSBT
Grid
Bartender4
Elkanos buff bars
Recount

Link a screenshot of your UI, preferably in a raid environment:

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img197/4823/mageui2.jpg

Not in a raid environment obviously but the only difference is it doesnt have combat text, a full grid or DBM warnings.

We raid Monday - Thursday 18:45-22:30 server time. We need to know if you can make every raid. If not, please specify:

Since you changed the raiding times it’s pretty ideal for me, i often go out on Saturdays and i sometimes play ice hockey on Sundays, can make them all.

We require the use of full consumables for every raid, is this going to be a problem for you?

No, i farm everything myself.

List your gaming machines technical specs and lowest fps during raids:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
4 gig of RAM
Realtek HD Digital Output
Vista (boooo)
2 monitors!
Lowest FPS during raids is 30.

Do you have a stable internet connection?

Yeh, 20meg Virgin media line, always reliable apart from the odd hardward upgrade which is rare.

What do you expect from us?

Hopefully, a decent raiding guild willing to put the time into harder encounters. I’ve played with some of you on my shadow priest in pugs etc and i’ve experienced the more dedicated side of raiding so i know what to expect.

Anything else you would like us to know:

Despite only recently starting to raid on my mage, don’t be fooled into thinking i don’t have the experience on it. I’ve played it since Vanilla and i’ve always kept up-to-date with changes from patch to patch. It’s the same as my shadow priest except it has more damage and more survivability, pretty awesome in general.

Sadly i don't have any parses to back up my performance, the last parse i had was when i was still wearing 4 blues and was under the hit cap, i'll link it anyway but please bare in mind that it is severely outdated:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/H38x1yEBUGTVSE6f/sum/damageDone/?s=6737&e=6986

(yeh it's twins, lets pretend i do that much damage all the time Laughing )

On that same raid i got owned for most of phase 1 on beasts hence the dip in damage done.

Cheers for reading.

Paul.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the reason i'm on Daggerspine is i followed a relative but the guild he joined is full on mages. Wasted money ftw. I don't want to transfer back immediately incase you guys decline me in which case i'll have to find a different guild.

Ohnoitspaul

Back to top Go down

Ohnoitspaul - Mage Empty Re: Ohnoitspaul - Mage

Post  Ohnoitspaul Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 am

Small update, probably won't matter much but i just upgraded my i-net to a 50Mb line Very Happy

Ohnoitspaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Casual Mike Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Ohnoitspaul ! :O

./wave from Iron

Casual Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  balatro Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:45 am

Declined.
balatro